Whole30 Kale and Fried Egg Salad
I’ve just started another round of Whole30. And while I don’t believe in diets, I love doing Whole30 every now and then to get me back into good habits. It gets me out of the habit of drinking wine every night, eating the girls’ dinner (and then my own), and snacking all round.
So what is Whole30?
Whole30 is a nutritional program designed to change the way you feel and eat in 30 days. Basically, you have to remove all of the potentially inflammatory foods and beverages in your diet (think: added sugar and sweeteners, alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, processed foods and beverages, baked goods, and junk foods) and eat three “clean” meals a day, made with Whole30-approved ingredients (think: meats, seafood, veggies, and eggs).
The beginning of Whole30 (especially the first time you do it) is rough. You are trying to over come cravings for all your favorites (my biggest craving is sugar!!!). But, once you get past that, the benefits far out way the struggle. Now when I do it, it’s easy. I look forward to doing it because it’s a shift in mindset for me and I know I can’t have that drink or eat that Mac and Cheese and I feel AH-MAZING!!!
What benefits do I really feel when I do Whole30?
- My skin is clearer. Of course I am obsessed with my skincare routine because it does wonders, but when I really clean up my diet, my skin glows even more!
- My digestion is on track. I honestly just feel like my insides are running better!
- It’s so much easier to get out of bed in the morning! I sleep better and therefore feel more rested and ready to get up in the morning.
- I am so much more in tune with my body. When I go back to eating/drinking certain foods, I feel it in my digestion, or my skin breaks out, so I know exactly what to avoid if I don’t want that happening!
- I just feel good. I work out more because I’m never feeling sluggish or hungover and because I know the food I’m putting in my body is so clean, I don’t feel frumpy!
- I’m way more productive. I’m a better mum, wife and my business runs better because I have less distractions and more energy to get everything done!
I’ve also learnt how to cook some great easy meals that are Whole30 approved. If you need lots of inspiration, go to @whole30recipes on Instagram. There are some amazing and simple ideas in there!
When it comes to lunch, I want it to be quick and easy.
The other day I had some kale salad mix to use up. I put it in my bowl with some dressing on it and thought to myself “I can’t just eat lettuce for lunch”. So I decided to fry up a couple of eggs (using ghee which is a clarified butter and Whole30 approved!), and add some avocado. And then it turned into the most delicious lunch that I’ve now had three days in a row!!!
What do you need for this salad? It couldn’t be more simple (quick and simple is what I’m all about!)!
- Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Collection (Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Green Cabbage and Red Cabbage)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Ghee (for frying eggs)
- 1/2 avocado
- Good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
Place desired amount of salad in a bowl. Fry your eggs (I love my yolk to be runny) and place them on top. Add half an avocado and top with your olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season!
Disclaimer: I don’t do Whole30 to lose weight, I do it to feel good and to be healthy. As always, consult your doctor before starting any kind of diet.