How good hydration can make your skin softer, supple and younger looking
When you consider that our bodies are comprised of 60-70 percent water, you start to understand the importance of keeping a bottle of H2O nearby. Every organ in the body relies on water to do its job properly, but studies show that over half of Americans suffer from chronic dehydration.
So it’s obvious that hydration is huge for your health!
The key to not becoming dehydrated is drinking enough water, but how do you know exactly how much YOU should be having?
Try this hydration calculator which will tell you how many 8oz glasses of water you need daily to be correctly hydrated! Remember to add a couple more glasses if you work out or are breastfeeding!
So now that you know how much you need to drink, now it’s time to track your fluid intake so you know if you’ve hit your target!
The key is to make the tracking manageable otherwise it won’t be sustainable!
Here are three ways to “score your pour”:
- Get an app, like Waterlogged, that allows you to log your ounces and set alarms to remind you!
- Use a printable chart to track by making a check for every glass you drink. Sometimes it just feels good to see the goal and every step closer to it you take!
- Drink from a water bottle with ounce markings, and set a time goal. For example, my goal is to have one of my 24oz bottles done before I leave the house for the day.
So now you know how important hydration is, but sometimes drinking our recommended amount day after day can be challenging because it’s boring!
The key is to keep your tastebuds guessing, by mixing up some infused water. These babies take five minutes to put together and will have you gleefully refilling your glass or bottle again and again!
Some benefits of fruit/herb infused water:
- Nutrient packed, and refreshing
- Flushes out toxins
- Balances pH levels (lemon infused)
- Boosts your immune system (citrus infused waters)
Remember also the importance of replenishing your electrolytes when you hydrate. Some infused waters can actually do that as well. Rather than opting for sugary sports drinks, reach for the coconut water, OR your own concoction.
Try these simple recipes!
1 small lime, sliced
1 pint raspberries
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
1/2 cup pineapple cubed
1 small orange, sliced
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
Another way to increase your water intake is to EAT your water!!!
Certain fruits and veggies are water-rich, meaning they can play a big role in helping you meet your hydration needs.
The following produce consists mostly of water!
- Cucumbers: 96%
- Iceberg Lettuce: 96%
- Tomatoes: 94%
- Watermelon: 92%
- Strawberries: 91%
- Broccoli: 90%
Another benefit to these fruits and veggies? They provide key vitamins, antioxidants and heart-healthy fiber.
That AND hydration? I’d call that a win-win!
Hydrating from the outside!!!
We know that hydrating from the inside is KEY. But what can we be putting ON our skin to keep it at it’s peak performance?
If you suffer from dry skin (like me), good hydration certainly helps a lot. But I also love to use products that are going to give my skin that extra boost of moisture.
Here are my recommendations for my top products for DRY skin and I can tell you from personal experience, these help me so much!
- Cleansing Balm – The ultimate product for hydration. Use as a cleanser, moisturizer and overnight mask!
- Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion – This Countermatch Lotion naturally adapts to your skin’s hydration needs, without using silicones or synthetic polymers, resulting in smoother skin.
- Facial Mist – If you aren’t using a facial mist in your routine then you are missing out! Facial mists are so underrated! A good facial mist preps skin, sets makeup, and refreshes throughout the day. Amazing for those concerned with dryness!
- Facial Oil – A couple of drops of this and you’ll never go back. Lightweight and silky smooth, it moisturizes, nourishes, and helps firm skin.
- Countermatch Adaptive Body Moisturizer – If your legs are as dry and scaly as mine then I know how you feel! This lotion has been a game changer for me!!!
A quick note on the order I use my products…
- Eye Cream
- Facial Oil
(I mist all day and every day!!!)
BONUS-Email me your order confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org of any of the products mentioned and you’ll be sent a free full sized product from me! (Orders must be in the month of April/May 2018)