My favorite self development books and podcasts!
Are you feeling overwhelmed with the amount of self development books there are out there?
It’s so easy to get so overwhelmed and then read nothing because you don’t know where to start!
I’ve been there. But when I read that by reading only 10 pages of a book a day, I would be able to get through 12 books in a year, it made it so much easier to start!
I’m also obsessed with podcasts. There are so many amazing ones out there, but again, it’s so overwhelming. What I tend to do is find 2-3 podcasts that I love and then really dive into them, listening to all their episodes. Every time I’m in my car, I’m listening to a podcast or an audio book. Some people say, “Oh well, I only drive for a couple of minutes so there is no point putting anything on.” But that is the wrong attitude! I can get through 2-3 podcasts (at least) a week by listening to a few minutes a day! Folding my washing is another good time to listen to them too. Once you are in the habit, it’s so easy!
“But where do I start???” I hear you say! Well, I wanted to make life easier for you and do a little review of what I have read and listened to so you have somewhere to start. Of course there is always more I want to listen to but we just have to do a little every day. By the end of the year you will be amazed with the personal growth you have had.
SO WHY IS SELF DEVELOPMENT SO IMPORTANT?
Having my own business, I discovered there was a whole new world out there. I never knew I needed personal development and would probably have never discovered it. But working in an industry where it’s all about relationships, building a team and getting out of your comfort zone, I quickly wanted to be a better version of myself. I immersed myself in trainings, books and podcasts and it’s really helped me to grow.
Here are 10 ways in which I’ve changed because of personal development:
- I love to push the limits of my comfort zone as I know that’s what helps me to grow.
- I am way more confident.
- I press ‘Go live’ like it’s the most normal thing in the world (if you would have told me I’d be on camera a couple of years ago I would never have believed you!)
- I have made some amazing lifelong friends because I’ve put myself out there.
- I can be in groups and situations and feel like I belong, rather than feeling intimidated and uncomfortable.
- My business continues to grow without ‘annoying’ and losing friends or feeling salesy and icky.
- My time management skills I have learnt and developed through personal development training has help me fit everything into my crazy life!
- I have developed really healthy lifelong habits both physically and mentally.
- I wake up at 5am every day to get my day started right (well…most days…haha)
- I am now able to help so many other people.
If you want to improve in any of these areas, then I highly recommend reading the following books and listening to these podcasts and then taking action steps with the new knowledge you learn. If reading is not your thing, do the audiobook instead. Just get going and watch yourself transform!
For general business/personal development:
- ‘The Slight Edge’ by Jeff Olson – I can’t say enough about this book and I think it’s a great book for ALL areas of your life. It’s also the first one I’d suggest reading. This is where I learnt that by reading 10 pages a day, I would read 12 books a year! It’s all about being consistent and ‘mastering the mundane’.
- ‘The War of Art’ by Steven Pressfield- If you suffer from procrastination and never seem to finish anything you start, or event struggle with starting a project, this is so helpful! In fact, I need to read it again!
- ‘You Are A Badass’ by Jen Sincero – A ‘self help’ book but done in such a funny way that is so relatable and effective!
- ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ by Dale Carnegie-The title pretty much explains it but if you are struggling with getting people to listen to you, then this is a must read.
- ‘The Miracle Morning’ by Hal Elrod – The ‘not-so-obvious’ secret that is guaranteed to transform any area of your life! I’ve adopted this approach and I am now a morning person (and so much more productive)!
- ‘Body Love’ by Kelly Leveque-If you want to be successful in anything in life, your health comes from first. Kelly explains the science behind the food we eat and how it works in our bodies. Reading this completely changed the way I eat. My mindset has been forever shifted for the better when it comes to my food choices!
- ‘Girl, Wash Your Face’ by Rachel Hollis – #1 New York Times Bestseller – just read it.
For Network Marketers:
- ‘The Miracle Morning for Network Marketers’ by Hal Elrod and Pat Patrini- There are some excellent systems in here (especially follow up) that I use in by business!
- ‘Go for No for Network Marketing’ by Richard Fenton & Andrea Waltz with Ray Higdon- if you are feeling stuck and you hear ‘no’ all the time, then this is definitely for you!
- ‘Go Pro- 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional’ by Eric Worre – this is like my bible. I’ve listened to the audio book about three times and I carry the book around with me. I’ve written in it and marked pages that I reference all the time. This is an essential!!!
Next on my list that have been recommended to me:
- ‘Girl, Stop Apologizing’ by Rachel Hollis – this is currently on pre-order and I’m really excited about it. I’ve already ordered it and know it will be amazing in helping me achieve my goals!
- ‘You are a Badass at Making Money’ by Jen Sincero – from the same author as ‘You are a Badass’, I’ve been recommend this as my goal this year is to be better with money!
- ‘EntreLeadership’ by Dave Ramsay – Dave Ramsay is a trusted voice on money. He will help you learn how to budget, beat debt, & build a legacy.
- ‘High Performance Habits’– by Brendon Burchard – I hear all the top podcasters rave about this guy and when I heard him interviewed, I knew I wanted to learn more! Essential for any business owner!
- ‘Big Magic’ by Elizabeth Gilbert – I’ve heard this recommended as one of the best books people have read so I’ve added it to my list! Whether you are looking to write a book, address challenges in your work, embark on a dream, or simply infuse your every day life with more mindfulness and passion, then this is for you!
- Rise Podcast with Rachel Hollis – Rachel gives such tangible advice that can be used for any business you’re in. She often talks about direct sales as well. I’ve learnt a lot about social media through her and also just being a better version of myself.
2. Goal Digger Podcast with Jenna Kutcher – I discovered this through Rachel Hollis’ podcast above! This is amazing if you are an entrepreneur. I have learnt so so much about social media and business in general from this podcast.
3. Your Virtual Upline with Bob Heilig – If you are in direct sales/direct retail etc, this is hands down the best podcast for you. Just start from the beginning and listen to every single episode. It will change your business.
So there you have it! I hope this list was helpful. Anything else I should be reading or listening to? Please comment below and let me know!