Beautycounter on the Today Show
We’re all constantly exposed to toxins in our food, water, air and products. The rate of new toxins entering the environment is alarming. Approximately 2,000 new chemicals are released on the market each year, in addition to the thousands of chemicals that are already on the market. Most are not adequately tested for safety in humans, and even some that are tested and are unsafe are released anyway.
If all that’s not bad enough, there are still chemicals like DDT that were banned years ago, but are still in the environment. In the last 50 years, our environment has become a very chemical-laden toxic place, and our bodies can’t deal with the overload. Have you noticed the drastic increase in chronic disease and cancer? Guess what’s causing a lot of it.
1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime in part due to the exposure to toxic chemicals in our everyday lives.
Those statistics are alarming to me (and I’m sure you as well). I think most of us want to stay healthy and do our best to avoid cancer. So, I think limiting our toxic exposure as much as we can makes good sense. And we can also help our bodies make sure they’re eliminating toxins properly and staying in good working order.
The question is, where do you start? It can be overwhelming to start on a journey towards cleaner living. And when you feel overwhelmed, it’s easy to do nothing.
But, if you want to make the switch, you need to start somewhere…
I’m here to help you get started and keep it simple. Let’s look at the most toxic skincare and make up products out there…
- Body Moisturizer- With more skin to cover, body lotions offer the most exposure to potentially toxic ingredients! A common harmful ingredient to look for is like mineral oil. Mineral oil is bad for you because it may be contaminated with trace amounts of toxins and can suffocate skin. Try Beautycounter’s Hydrate Body Lotion.
2. Face Moisturizer and Eye Creams- Many traditional eye and face creams are made with preservatives which can potentially release an ingredient commonly used to preserve corpses. (Try Beautycounter’s Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion and Eye Rescue Cream instead!)
3. Shampoo- Traditional hair care products like shampoo and conditioner are highly engineered. They contain many toxic ingredients including parabens and sulfates. They’ve been designed to lather up and leave your hair “squeaky clean”, but most of these chemicals are actually stripping your hair of its natural oils or leaving behind residue that masks your hair with silicones so your hair appears to be soft. (Try this one instead).
- Masks- Traditional facial masks can be formulated with PEGs. What makes PEGs unsafe? PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, which are both carcinogens. Instead, if you are looking to brighten your skin with a mask, try Beautycounter’s No. 1 Brightening Mask , or if you are more worried about aging and dry skin, try the No. 2 Plumping Mask. But if you main concern is oily skin and breaking out then you must try the No.3 Balancing Facial Mask with activated Charcoal!
5. Mascara- Mascara tends to be the dirtiest in terms of toxicity. Most mascaras contain aluminum powder, carbon black, and parabens. Parabens have been shown to mimic and potentially disrupt estrogen. Aluminum powder is a neurotoxin.
There are links to allergies, skin toxicity, hormone disruption, and inhibited fetal brain development. Luckily, there is a solution. I’m a mascara snob so it took a lot of trial and error but now I’m sold on the volumizing and lengthening mascara from Beautycounter.
- Lip Stick- Did you know…the average woman eats 1lb of lipstick each year?!?! Finding a lipstick free of lead and other harmful ingredients is IMPORTANT!
So why choose Beautycounter Lipstick?
-Is the ONLY company in America that tests their lip products for heavy metals
-Only uses the amount of colorants absolutely necessary to achieve a perfect pout
-Bans synthetic fragrance
-Scores 1 on EWG
-Has an ultra moisturizing & lightweight formula is non sticky, waxy and will not dry out your lips
Try all these amazing colors (that look great on any skin tone!)
BONUS: Purchase any of the above products and Beautycounter will let you choose a travel sized product free!
But what about the rest of your home?
The ideas are simple but will make a huge difference to your home and your health.
Please share below any switches you’ve already made or want to make! xx