7 ways to feel happier and less overwhelmed
Do you want to feel happier and less overwhelmed?
I can get really overwhelmed really easily and I’m one of those people who gets overwhelmed and then does NOTHING. Between the house work, my girls, my business and my blog it can get a bit much sometimes!
Can you relate?
This year I have huge business goals. However, in order to achieve them I know I need to change a few things in my life. They aren’t just going to ‘happen’ by continuing the way I am.
For example, I need to:
- Be more organized
- Go to bed early/get up early
- Help more people achieve their goals
Luckily, I’ve come across an amazing discovery.
Everything has changed for me since reading the book “The Slight Edge” by Jeff Olson.
Since reading this book, I feel like I can accomplish ANYTHING.
The philosophy is that if you can master the mundane and be consistent every day in what you’re doing (in the right direction), over time, you WILL achieve your goals. The key is TIME.
We live in a world where we expect instant results. We expect to lose weight in a month and keep it off (only by doing something extreme). We want to be at the top of our business immediately and wonder how others did it so easily. We look at stars who seem to have ‘overnight success’ and wonder why it doesn’t happen to us. We think anyone who is successful is just smarter or luckier. But that’s not true. The difference between people who are successful and those who are not is The Slight Edge. Those ‘overnight stars’ are not overnight stars at all. They have been working on their craft for YEARS and YEARS. Every. Single. Day. It probably didn’t feel like they were getting anywhere but they were practicing The Slight Edge. They were consistent. They mastered the mundane of doing tasks every day which pointed them in the right direction. To us it feels like they got a lucky break. But they didn’t. They worked day in and day out to get there. And you can too.
Struggling to lose weight? If you decided to cut down your sugar intake by two teaspoons every day, over time you will lose weight. It won’t be dramatic and it won’t be quick. You won’t notice it at first, even for the first few months (which is when most people give up) but eventually one day you’ll be like ‘Oh, I’ve lost 10 pounds!” However, use The Slight Edge the other way and add two teaspoons of sugar every day to your diet. I bet you in years to come, you’ll suddenly say ‘How did I put on 10 pounds???’
Feeling overwhelmed about the mountain of work to get through? Don’t know where to start?
Just start. That is key. Just start.
Then, think of ‘time’ as your friend. And trust that over time you will get through that mountain. Probably not today, but you will eventually…but only IF you master the mundane and do a little bit every day.
I’ve always been overwhelmed about how many personal development books I want to read? SO, what would I normally do? Nothing. Read nothing. As I would think to myself, “I’m never going to get through all these books.” But I’ve changed my mindset. The Slight Edge makes it simple. Just read 10 pages a day. Which is very doable. It doesn’t seem like much right? It’s so easy to do, and yet, it’s so easy not to do. And that’s what sets the successful apart. Most of us take the road “It doesn’t matter if I miss a day here and there”. You feel like 10 pages is nothing so if you skip a day, no big deal. However, using The Slight Edge the other way and not being consistent and not mastering the mundane probably means you’ll take a year to read one book. BUT guess what? If you continue to read 10 pages a day, you would have read 12-24 books in a year. Imagine how much information you would consume doing that!!! Imagine how much more successful you would be.
Here’s another example. I had a pile of boxes in my room that I needed to break down for recycling. The mound was overwhelming and I put it off for days. Then I read The Slight Edge. I decided that every time I walked into the room, I would just break down three boxes. Before I knew it, the pile had gone and I felt like I had put in no effort or time commitment at all!
Using The Slight Edge as a way of living I have become so much more organized and I just get things done. I also trust the process of it. I trust that if I keep working at something every single day, one day I will achieve my goal. It might take years, but if I’m working towards it daily, I will get there.
Here’s how I stay organized using the philosophy of The Slight Edge:
- My attitude has changed… “There is no time like the present”. Stop resisting what you’re doing and just do it. The thing you’re resisting the most should be the thing you do first. Trust me, you’ll feel AMAZING when it’s done!
- Do a “Brain Dump” once a week. Set the timer for 15 minutes and just write down what’s in your head. Then you can categorize and prioritize what needs to be done.
- Use a diary with times slots where you can allocate times to jobs/tasks/work you need to get done. This really helps with overwhelm as you can see your day planned out with everything you need to do and how it all fits in!
- Focus using the Pomodoro effect. Set the timer for 25 minutes. Whatever your task is, go for it for 25 minutes. No distractions (put your phone away!). Then, after 25 minutes have a five minute break to look at social media or fold some laundry. Repeat the process. (On a side note, The Slight Edge is also working here with your laundry pile!)
- Do you have kids? If so, pack bags the night before an outing. Have your snacks, water bottles, keys, wallet, baby needs, change of clothes etc packed and ready so you are not running around in the morning like a mad person trying to get everyone out the door.
- Read 10 pages of a personal development book every day (including The Slight Edge of course!). Remember that over the course of a year you would have read up to 24 books!!! The information you consume can only change your life for the better!
- Go to bed on time and get up before anyone else in the morning. Use the bedtime app on your iPhone which actually reminds you when you need to go to bed. You also wake up to a lovely alarm that gradually increases in volume so you aren’t startled. I love it.
So do yourself a favor and get a copy of The Slight Edge. It will change your life!
Please comment below with your experiences of The Slight Edge. I’d love to hear from you. xx