5 Important Reasons You Must Cleanse Your Face Morning and Night
“Im so busy, I don’t have time to wash my face” I hear you say…Actually, yes you do. Anyone can find three minutes morning and night. It’s just that you can’t be bothered because it’s not important to you. But maybe when you understand WHY you should be doing it, you’ll want to get in the habit, and once you do, you are going to love seeing the results, which in turn is going to keep you wanting to do your routine and actually enjoy it!!!
I used to just wash my face at night to get my make up off, put on my moisturizer and that was it. In the morning, I just rinsed my face with water in the shower. But now, I know better!
Here are some tips that will help explain why!
- Research shows cleansing before bed is essential to looking younger, longer.
Every day your skin is aging. And the very simple process of washing your face before bed is an excellent way to mitigate the external factors associated with aging and to stimulate the internal processes that fight aging.
Overnight, the skin needs oxygen to repair itself. And sleeping with your makeup on deprives it of this vital nutrient. “When makeup is left on, it blocks the natural exfoliating process, which can leave your skin looking dull”, says Dr. Robins Ashinoff, Director of Cosmetic Dermatology at Hackensack Medical Center in New Jersey.
- Nighttime cleansing is essential for letting anti-aging ingredients work.
Nocturnal blood flow in the skin is higher. And when blood flow is increased so is absorption and penetration of ingredients. So again, if you aren’t washing you can’t apply actives that will help fight aging (or acne or whatever your skin condition might be).
Thus, If you don’t wash your face before bed it’s a missed opportunity to do something great for your skin and to wake up with smoother, softer, clearer skin.
- Forgoing nighttime cleansing regularly will give you larger pores.
First, consider that excess sebum (oil), dead skin cells, and pollution are sitting on your face. Not to mention makeup (and just because you don’t wear foundation is no excuse). A cleanser will emulsify all of these and remove them from the surface of your skin. According to Dr. Dennis Gross, M.D., when makeup is left on it can seep deep down, clogging pores. He also says that once your collagen levels start to decline (due to aging), the pores do not snap back as easily once they become enlarged. And, leaving makeup on can lead to inflammation that can generate free radicals and collagen breakdown.
- Night time cleansing prevents skin dehydration.
Skin temperature rises overnight which leads to trans-epidermal water loss (evaporation).
- Day time cleansing prevents excess oil production.
I know what you’re thinking: So why then do I have to wash it again in the morning; I went to bed with it clean? As we just learned, overnight your skin recovers. Which means in the morning you have more dead skin cells to slough off. And more excess sebum to emulsify. These can’t be rinsed away with mere water. You need to dislodge them & then rinse them away.
Do you really want to put your makeup on top of dead skin cells & excess oil? Would you skip brushing your teeth in the morning because you did it before bed? I think not…
Note: be careful of the cleanser you are using. If it’s too harsh, it maybe stripping away all the essential oils on your face, leading to an over production of oil throughout the day as the skin tries to make up for the lost oil.
So, what should you be using?
Everyone’s skin type is different. I have dry skin and I’m worried about aging (aren’t we all???) and this is what I love to use from Beautycounter (read more about Beautycounter)
1. Rejuvenating Cleanser (I keep it in the shower) It smells amazing and leaves my skin feeling really hydrated. Bonus, you only need to use the tiniest amount (and I mean tiniest) so it can last 6-12 months! (Depending on whether you use it morning and/or night)
2. Rejuvenating Toner Pads Amazing for evening skin tone (my freckles have faded!), and it helps with fine lines and wrinkles. Yes please!!!
3. Rejuvenating Radiance Serum Firm, tighten and brighten the skin (botox in a bottle anyone???)
4. Countermatch Eye Cream Helps with puffiness and dark circles. I get really puffy eyes and this has helped me so much!
5. Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion One pump of this and my skin is at it’s peak performance for the whole day. Learn more about Countermatch here.
6. No.2 Plumping Facial Oil Made with jasmine and peony root, this plant based oil does wonders for hydrating and making fine lines and wrinkles less prominent.
Shop my Morning Routine (1. Rejuvenating Cleanser, 2. Rejuvenating Toner Pads, 3. Rejuvenating Radiance Serum, 4. Countermatch Eye Cream, 5. Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion, 6. No. 2 Plumping Facial Oil)
1. Cleansing Balm I use this to remove my makeup/grime from the day.
2. Charcoal Bar or Nourishing Cream Exfoliator to give my skin a deep clean (I alternate between the two).
3. Rejuvenating Radiance Serum
4. Rejuvenating Eye Cream Bye bye dark circles, puffy eyes, fine lines and wrinkles
5. Rejuvenating Night Cream Intense moisturizing while you sleep
6. 2 Plumping Facial Oil